Saturday 7 December 2019

Christmas Movies: Miracle on 34th Street (1994)

You probably find yourself sat in shock and fear; there are words I'm reading as opposed to words mumbled in a wood somewhere. Well technology has failed me, so a big long walk today didn't throw up many visual benefits though it's always nice to go for a walk in the woods and accumulate more mud than a weekend at Glastonbury. But oh well... it's now the 4th of December at the time of writing this blog, maybe it's good fortune that faulty phones and unreliable cameras have forced me to return to the realm of actual good old fashioned internet blogging as opposed to running around with a camera filming myself talking in the same location, or in the case of this week a location I hadn't been to for a while but still quite familiar and to be honest it looks very much the same as a lot of the other places (apart from that time I blogged up the Arc de Triomphe and you couldn't hear what I thought of Spider-Man: Far from Home, spoilers it was excellente). So here I return to this humble blog website (presuming I post this missive on my blogspot and not just a Facebook post that one person browses and doesn't comment) to talk about movies old and movies new as I would do in a weekly video blog.


So, since I last filmed a video and briefly talked about what movies I saw last week and explained to you in cold hard facts (I briefly said yes it is) how Die Hard is a Christmas movie and probably talked a few random Christmas movies I'd seen; what new movies and what old movies have I seen? Well in the old realm (though not that old, don't make me feel ancient) we have the marvellously underrated 2014 gem Get Santa with features one absolutely belting Santa in Jim Broadbent (he's definitely in the top leagues, though more on the best one of all later) plus the lovely Rafe Spall in the lead (weird to think he was one that guy in Shaun and Hot Fuzz) not to mention Doctor Who herself Jodie Whittaker and the wonderful Stephen Graham and Warwick Davis to name but a few.... it's a purely magical and lovely Christmas tale for everyone from the director of Severance and Triangle (as you do); I also got the yearly family viewing of National Lampoons Christmas Vacation in the can, a pure Christmas classic and there's not much that needs to said... you all know the scenes and the quotes, it's hilarious and lovely. I also watched Love Actually which is in a similar vein, you all know it well. It's crazy how many people are in that film, what a cast!














I also went to the cinema for a special screening of Moulin Rouge! One of my absolute favourite movie, and as expected every second was a joy... nicely helped by the Everyman Cinema in Liverpool and it's seating which is comprised of cushy sofas and waiter service. And again in tradition I rewatched Planes Trains and Automobiles which should be a blog in itself because like Moulin Rouge it's one of the most perfect movies there is.

In the realm of new movies, I've seen a trilogy of new cinema releases... two are great, and one is perfectly lovely. I saw the new Rhian Johnson murder mystery Knives Out (and yes, Last Jedi is still excellent so come at me haters) which stars a delectable Daniel Craig as a southern detective plus a stellar cast of suspects including Captain America himself and Jamie Lee Curtis to name but two... it's funny, and dark and utterly great fun. I saw the new Charlies Angels reboot, which is way better than internet people will have you believe (or some reviews too). For starters, the internets favourite punching bag Kristen Stewart is a delight here... super funny and charming, which is great because she's always great in everything and people are stupid. The other guys are also fun, with Patrick Stewart and Sam Claflin always welcome delights... it's fun and it's super feminist, I loved it!













Then there's Last Christmas (you wouldn't believe this was a blog leading to talking about Miracle on 34th Street would you?) which I saw last night... which has unfairly been kicked around a bit, it's Christmas so films are allowed to be super flawed. It's got a ton going for it; Emilia Clarke is fantastic in the lead role, she's funny and charming and I love those green shoes she wears. Whilst Henry Golding is utterly charming and bonkers too, it's a great story and some really interesting characters and the choice to weave Wham! music throughout is a great one. It's just at the end of the day, a bit just ok... it's really enjoyable and there's some amusing laughs throughout and Emma Thompson is always dependable even if her character is a bit of a straightforward nagging mum character. The message within it is super strong and really special and I loved that.... it's just as a whole, it's just fun and then yeah that's it. They could have done more with the Wham music rather than it's just there, maybe a musical with the songs working the narrative? And the final twist is pretty corny even if again it's a sweet message and works into the story as a whole, it's just once you see it coming it's super obvious and I twigged fairly quickly what might be happening. But it's Christmas and it's lovely and I still recommend this warm hug of a movie from a director who I love (Paul Feig, he of Bridesmaids and A Simple Favour).














That's enough old and new films, let's talk.... an old film! Namely the 1994 remake of Miracle on 34th Street starring Sir Richard Attenbrough as the best Santa in cinema (bar none!). This is the point where I normally stand in a film, sorry a field (I like to keep the spelling mistakes in, the same as all my verbal mistakes stay in the videos) and talk about this in length... sometimes making no sense and rambling and sometimes saying the same point over and over again. Except this time you get a brief clip that my phone allowed me to film before it gave up and then this written transcript (ish) of the sort of things I would have said and maybe (hopefully) it's a little more eloquent and intriguing and less repetitive; but we'll see...

Back in the Winter of 1994, I was just a small 8 year old me... I remember I very well though because that Christmas we went as a family to see The Pagemaster (Liverpool Showcase) and The Nightmare before Christmas (UCI Warrington); I remember Pagemaster most vividly because, well it's a vivid and memorable movie from it's fun plot to it's wonderful (for a young me, and for 1994 at least) visuals... but also because you always remember a trip with some background, just that I remember my mum was at University at the time in Liverpool and she came to meet us after Uni at the cinema; not the most riveting story but there you go. That Christmas as far as I recall, we didn't see this one at the cinema (maybe Mum and Dad thought it too cerebral for us, it is a cut above the usual family fare in terms of what kids would enjoy) but would later experience it on video (my guess at least) and then it cemented itself sweetly as a firm Christmas staple for years to come, not just mine but one of my mums favourites too. It really isn't hard to see why too...











Sure, the 1947 version is a classic... for starters, it has one of the absolute best and most original trailers there is (insert link) and obviously being the original version of the story that has its pluses too; the cast are great and the story is lovely. But growing up with this version, and mainly due to just how incredibly terrific Dickie is as Kriss Kringle... I genuinely can't go anywhere else but this for my Miracle fix. Like I said though, and like I said tenfold with the Home Alone II argument; none of this means the original 1947 version is anything other than an utter delight and masterpiece. I'm simply going to argue why I like this one that bit more and the most and why it's such a staple for me come Christmas time.

I do feel going in that a lot of the basic story elements and ideas that appeal so much can be traced back to the original so the argument could easily be made that why not go with the original. But some things can be simplified and defined so easily, it's what we grew up with and the people we know and love (and I really do love Mara Wilson, she's so lovely and my research shows me that she's only a year younger than me so we're both of the same era and she's grown up into such a cool and funny human being; seriously check her out online she's awesome and still as cute as ever). But if anyone sells this apart from the rest, it's the majesty that is Sir Richard Attenbrough as Kriss Kringle... he certainly makes a believer out of me. From the supreme twinkle to the quiet vulnerability, he's so wonderful and so powerful in his performance that he really sells this character and you find yourself truly believing that this man is the real deal and that the character of Santa definetly exists (of course we all know he does anyway, am I right?)... it's a really hard thing to sum up other than to say it's a thing of magic and wonder what he does and it's amazing and it totally sets this one apart for me, though factors such as Mara Wilson as well as the dynamic duo of Elizabeth Perkins and Dylan McDermott also; who are both utterly magnetic and charming.
 
 
The idea of a story where the magic of Christmas is put in danger by factors so simple and everyday is a unique one, and that basic idea has been done elsewhere too (Get Santa, The Santa Clause) but the court drama and the family drama really makes this one a bittersweet and special tale. There's a reason this story is so beloved and that this version is so beloved by me especially... not to mention some of you who commented when I asked about it online (Charlotte and Alice to name two, and with apologies to John who really isn't a fan). Leave a comment if you too find this a favourite at this time of year or if you don't (I'd love to hear both sides of the argument).


The great season of December really is upon us, and with it will come two more videos (or written blogs like this depending on technology) as we discuss the two best Christmas movies that there are. It's up to you to guess what those are, though those who know me well will already have an idea... this really is the best time of year, the good feeling and the magical feeling in the air are always something I treasure and the opportunity to show kindness and humility to your fellow man is just a way of saying December is like my whole year really. Peace and goodwill to all mankind, always.

So until next week, let it snow let it snow let it snow (just imagine if it did). Christmas really is starting now

No comments:

Post a Comment